Wednesday, September 30, 2009

H1N1 has struck!

Yes - that's right - Courtney has tested positive for the flu but the pediatrician is 100% sure it's H1N1. It happened so quickly! Monday morning she woke up with a terrible headache but went to school anyways after taking some Tylenol and having no fever. She stated her headache went away around lunchtime and she felt fine the rest of the day.

Tuesday morning rolls around and she wakes up with a terrible, pounding headache at 5:15am - after waking up 3 times in the middle of the night. I took her temperature and it was 101. With her headache and fever, I decided to look up symptoms of H1N1. Yep - headache is one of them. So with that, her and I stayed home and waited until 9am to call the dr. She got an appt. at 11am and the test came back positive.

With all that, she is out for 1 week from the start of symptoms (headache with fever) and as long as she is 24 hours fever free and Tylenol free (including headache). So, I dropped off the dr. excuse and her school said 'We'll see her on Tuesday'.

So now, I have an impromptu vacation or should I say 'house arrest'. Her dr. doesn't want her alone since she is wheezing a bit and with the flu - the respiratory symptoms could get worse. I'm at least catching up on some of my learning modules for school, did most of our lab groups lab assignment for tomorrow night, and couldn't attend class tonight since Jason closes (thanks to my friend Jennifer - she will give me everything I miss tonight).

I'll keep you all updated on Courtney and the rest of us (we are all hoping we don't get it)!!!

No comments: